Read an article about Ken in Rock & Ice magazine by Chad Hussey

You can drop a line at a SuperTopo forum or send to Olga to publish to this blog

Thursday, November 26, 2009

In Memory of Ken Klopfer


Died November 19, 2009.

Ken died at Brigham hospital in Boston from complications of his battle with leukemia. He was surrounded by our family and passed peacefully and painfree holding our hands tightly.
Ken did not want a wake or funeral, just a memorial service. We are waiting to get his ashes and are thinking of having the service the Sat. after Thanksgiving in Chicopeeat the curch Beth & I attend with my family. Ken wants to be remembered. Please jot down some memories or share some pictures. You can send them to his hotmail box and we will print them out. We will put them all into a scrapbook to share with family, friends and any future grandchildren so they will be able to know about him even though he is no longer with us.
Thank you for being part of his life. He truly valued your friendship.
Ruth

1 comment:

  1. Ken was my first climbing partner. Everything that I know about mountains I’ve learned from him. I watched Ken approaching extremely hard ice climbs that looked to me impossible to climb and saying “does not look bad…” and taking a lead on the climb. I also watched Ken making a decision to turn back on an objective that we planned and dreamed about for a year because it was not safe for the team. I’ve learned from Ken to respect mountains, I’ve learned from Ken to respect and value your climbing partners. Before our first big wall aid climb in Yosemite, we were in a visitor center checking weather forecast. A ranger learned about our objective and asked “What is the most important for you? Is it getting to the top?” and Ken’s answer was “No, getting to the top is not that important. The most important is to stay friends after the climb”. Those words truly represent Ken for me. He was great person and he was always taking care about people around him. I will miss Ken.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete